An honorarium is normally a one-time payment. It is granted in recognition of a special service or distinguished achievement for which propriety precludes setting a fixed price, such as:
- a special lecture
- participation in a workshop or panel discussion
- similar activities to the above
NOTE: Fees are not considered honoraria if:
- The fee is prescribed by the individual or if it is negotiated and a service contract is established.
- The individual to receive payment is making significant instructional contributions to a course or to pay fees over several months, such as to visiting scholars.
- Federal funds are being used for payment, unless a contract or grant specifically authorizes such payments.
For UC Berkeley employee:
DO NOT USE BEARBUY.
Payment must be processed through OPTRS as a One Time Payment. Work with the staff who are assigned to prepare OPTRS payments. See the delegation of authority memorandum for approving such honoraria and the dollar limits set by the Chancellor.
- The maximum honoraria rate that can be paid to University of California faculty is $1,500 (with exceptions allowed up to $3,000) per event. All University of California faculty honoraria payments of $3,000 or less requires the written approval of a Dean, the University Librarian, and Vice Provost. Exceptional honoraria paid to University of California faculty in excess of $3,000 require written approval from the Office of the President.
For a faculty member from other UC campuses
Payment of honoraria to faculty from other campuses should be processed on an Intercampus One-Time Payment Form (UPAY 644C-T) and be routed through Disbursements. All honoraria paid to University of California faculty must conform to the relevant provisions in the Academic Personnel Manual Sections 660 and 666. Note that State funds cannot be used for honoraria paid to University of California faculty.
Complete the BearBuy Payment Request Form with documentation to support payment, including a letter of agreement. Such support documentation should be scanned and attached to the Payment Request Form in BearBuy.
- The maximum honoraria rate that can be paid to non-University personnel is $10,000.
- All honoraria of $10,000 or less require the written approval of a Dean, the University Librarian, or a Vice Provost.
- Exceptional honoraria paid to non-University personnel in excess of $10,000 will require advance written approval by the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost.
Relevant Policy/Procedures: Policy D-371-35 (UCOP)