All compressed gases (which include toxic gases) present physical hazards due to their high pressure.To learn about management of compressed gases, see the EH&S publication, Compressed Gas Cylinders: Proper Management and Use. Units wishing to order and maintain gases, must contact EH&S for a hazard evaluation and written purchase approval, before ordering any gases.
Toxic gases are gases that::
- Cause significant acute health effects at low concentrations
- Have a National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) health rating of 3 or 4
- Have low occupational exposure limits, or are pyrophoric. Contact the Office of Environment, Health and Safety (EH&S) to advise them of your plans to acquire the gas. Refer to the EH&S Campus Toxic Program Fact Sheet, which provides the basics about what you need to know.
Such gases may be available as:
- Returnable cylinders. Ask suppliers for a list of available gases.
- Non-refillable, non-returnable gas cylinders. EH&S discourages buying non-returnable cylinders, when other options are available, because EH&S must dispose of any full, partially full, and empty cylinders,
- Lecture bottles, which are typically disposed of as hazardous waste; please visit the EH&S website for more information.
Praxair is the UC Berkeley preferred supplier for compressed gases.
Airgas Inc. is an additional source available to campus customers under a systemwide agreement. See the UC Strategic Sourced gas suppliers for more information
- Establish a Praxair account (if you have not already done so) In order to process an order you must have an established account on record with Praxair. Fill out the New Account form or call Praxair at (800) 660-2066. Fax completed form to Praxair at (800) 660-2099.
- Select gases from the Praxair BearBuy catalog. Include only gas items in your cart. When completed, route the cart for authorization and approval per your department’s established requisition workflow process.
To coordinate delivery
- University staff should specify "Preferred San Francisco Bay Area delivery location" and delivery time when the order is placed. Praxair will deliver during normal business hours.
- If a department is unable to receive delivery, Praxair will work with the department to reschedule delivery at a mutually agreeable date and time.
Praxair's delivery response times, after receipt of your order for:
- Industrial gases - within 2-5 working days
- Specialty, medical, and electrical gases - within 10 working days
To coordinate returns
For Praxair Cylinders
- Download the Praxair order form for the type of gas you are returning. See ("Request Compressed Gas" above.) Indicate that you want to arrange for cylinder pick-up.
- Fax completed order form to Praxair: (800) 660-2099 or call (800) 660-2066.
Refer to Office of Environment, Health and Safety for more information about diposing of lecture bottles which are typically disposed of as hazardous waste.
Praxair Contact Information
Praxair Service Center
Phone: (800) 660-2066
Fax: (800) 660-2099
To order compressed gas from Airgas, departments have two options:
- Order directly from Airgas and use your bluCard for purchases under $5,000 including sales tax.
- Use a BearBuy Non-Catalog Form.
- Select Airgas as the supplier and enter a detailed description of the items and quantities ordered.
- Scan required backup documentation and attach electronic copies to the form.
- When completed, route the form for authorization and approval per your department’s established requisition workflow process.
Lecture bottles are typically disposed of as hazardous waste; please visit the EH&S website for more information.