Inbound Domestic Freight Program (3rd Party Billing)
The Inbound Freight Program reduces the costs of our inbound freight (shipping charges for delivering products to your departments on "freight added" orders) by directing suppliers to use our very competitive UC freight contracts. Suppliers use the UCB inbound shipping account numbers. Our partner, Vantage Point Logistics (VPL), manages the UPS and FedEx billing process.
- Quick instructions: if small package shipping charges contractually apply, bill-third party to our UPS account number. If you cannot use UPS, bill third party to our FedEx Account number. Type our PO # in one of the address fields. For LTL deliveries, please call 844-875-7444 or email LTL@VantagePointLogistics.com for delivery instructions. Click here for VPL buyers guide.
- Supplier Instructions and shipping account numbers are provided on purchase orders issued through BearBuy. For questions about shipping or account numbers, see Outbound shipping below. Or, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email email@example.com for more information.
Departments will see the product charge from the supplier and the inbound freight charge (shipping) from VPL separately.
How are shipping charges tracked?
The shipping companies bill VPL for individual shipments. VPL aggregates those into a weekly billing that is sent directly to BFS, charging the Chartfields of the corresponding BearBuy Purchase Order.
Here’s how to find the shipping charges associated with a particular purchase order:
- Quick process:
- Use CalAnswers GL Detail tab to search for transactions using the Fund number associated with your P.O.
- Click here for a shortcut to a CalAnswers search http://bit.ly/2NpePd5
Change the time period and fund number, then apply the filter.
- Use the web browser’s find dialog box (Chrome “Find… Ctrl+F”) to find PO number used with the Supplier “Vantage Point Logistics”.
- Tip: If search returns too much data, add the Department number and re-apply the filter.
You can also use the export button at bottom of page to get the data in an Excel file.
- Click here to see in-depth CalAnswers search example and screen shots.
Where to get help
For problems with the VPL Inbound Freight Program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DO NOT USE BEARBUY.
To ship via Federal Express, refer to the Accounts Payable webpage for the campus FedEx Process.
To ship via UPS, contact Florence Matteo, Director of Enterprise Accounts - Government Sales, 602.758.8654 cell, email@example.com
Outbound Domestic Freight Services
Complete a BearBuy Payment Request Form with all required supporting documentation including the freight invoice.
Relevant Policy/Procedures: Applies when freight invoice is separate from the purchase order and refers to cost to transport supplies, materials, or equipment via a commercial carrier; also may include packing, crating and handling costs.
For shipping items outside of the United States, refer to the UC Berkeley Research Export Controls website.
Contracted Suppliers: American Cargoservice and Stevens Global Logistics
American Cargoservice Inc.
7880 Convoy Court
San Diego, CA 92111
Office: (858) 565-4125
Toll Free: (800) 508-4888
Fax: (858) 565-7623
Stevens Global Logistics
3700 Redondo Beach Avenue
Redondo Beach, CA 90278
Office: (310) 665-8534
Toll Free: (800) 229-7284
Fax: (310) 727-9948
International inbound shipments (value > $2,500.00) will require formal clearance by a customs broker. All shipping charges are to be paid in US Dollars. All items being shipped internationally should use one of our contracted suppliers to handle customs, duties, and import taxes to ensure that only fees required by applicable treaties will be applied. Both American Cargoservice and Stevens Global Logistics are the University's customs brokers and hold power of attorney for customs clearance. Contact one of our contracted suppliers directly prior to shipment for customs clearance and shipping.
To pay for international shipping (freight forwarding), complete the BearBuy Non-Catalog Form:
- Indicate the preferred supplier and include a detailed description of the items being ordered
- Scan all required supporting documentation and attach electronic copies to the form
- Verify that the distribution method is set to "email." If not, select Buyer Intervention with instructions to change the distribution method
- Include the following shipping instructions on the purchase order:
- Reference Unviersity Purchase Order number on all containers and shipping documents
- Ship to the attention of: UC Berkeley Central Distribution, 3200 Regatta Blvd., Suite E, Richmond, CA 94804-64165
- Supplier must:
- Include a copy of the invoice and reference the Purchase Order Number
- Instruct the carrier, "Upon shipment/arrival to USA, for customs clearance, carrier to notify: American Cargoservice
The Carrier must deliver the materials to the Ship To address on the purchase order once the shipment has been cleared by customs. For other distribution addresses, the Requisition Creator must email Equipment Management of the location of the equipment, so that BETS can be annotated. For departments with a BETS Equipment Custodian, goods can be shipped directly to the department Ship To address.The "tax" on this order will be paid directly to the State of California.