Required PO Documents
Due to federal, state or UC regulations, most orders will need the following documentation for audit purposes. Bear Buy is the system of record for campus procurement and the supporting documentation must be attached to the requisition / purchase order to be in compliance for audits. Providing the information in advance will streamline the procurement process. Once all required documentation has been received and approved, the Buyer will be able to issue the PO, which is the signal to the requester that work may begin. Goods/services should not be ordered prior to the issuance of a PO.
The information below is summarized in order documentation guide to be used as a reference.
Both UC Berkeley and the Office of the President have a number of contracted suppliers. Search contracts in BearBuy to learn more about the agreements. If the statement of work and payment schedule described in an agreement match the department’s need, that agreement may be able to be used in lieu of some of the steps above.
Please use the following naming convention and guide to when a document should be an internal or external attachment.
The following templates are located on this website: Procurement Forms
- UCOP Source Selection & Price Resonableness justification form: Department to include a written justification explaining business purpose, why this source for the service was selected, and how it was determined that the price is reasonable for orders. Note that requests that exceed $100,000 per year will need to be competitively bid.
- Statement of Work (SOW): The department determines goods and services specifications that the Supplier will deliver.
- Suppliers Proposal: Written proposal, dated, on supplier letterhead, that identifies the pricing, deliverables, and timeframe for the goods or services as defined in the SOW. Identify any exceptions or UC dependencies that are needed for the Supplier to perform the services. It should link fees charged to scheduled deliverables and timeframes. Hourly rates should be used only as a means of determining a fee. It should include the Supplier and UC contact information.
- Insurance: Prior to providing services to the University, Suppliers must furnish the University with current certificates of insurance.
- Supplier's Conflict of Interest Form.
- Classification Worksheet for Federal Tax Purposes (Formerly the Pre-Hire Worksheet) is used to determine an individual's status as an employee or Independent Contractor prior to an engagement.
- Formal Notice Pursuant to University Guidelines on Contracting for Services - Prior approval (4 weeks prior to issuing a RFP) is needed for contracts that may result in the displacement of University staff and are anticipated to exceed $100,000 per year.
- Agreement: Fully executeded by the Supplier and Buyer with delegated authority.
- CA Partial Sales Tax Exemption Certificate: When purchasing research equipment.
The Buyer will use the documentation above to create an agreement (if applicable), which will be signed by the Buyer and the supplier and attached to the requisition as an external attachment.
Depending on the nature of services as described in the statement of work, your Buyer might need additional documentation to process the PO / Agreement. More details can be found on the Special Considerations page.
- Fair Wage / Fair Work
- Prevailing wage
- Displacement of represented employees
- Data Security & HIPAA BAA (software and cloud services)
- Intellectual Property
- Use of UC names and marks
- Does the insurance adequately cover the services
- Consulting follow on concerns
- PPACA Patient Protection Affordable Care Act (temp services)
- Inventorial equipment
- Sponsored funds