Professional Services Defined: Highly specialized functions, typically of a technical nature, performed by a supplier that, with respect to the services to be rendered, most commonly;
- Has a professional license;
- Licensed by a regulatory body; and/or
- Able to obtain professional errors and omissions insurance.
Consulting services are generally not professional services unless the services are required to be performed by State-licensed persons.
Consult with your Buyer for any services over $100,000 as they may require competition by law.
Examples of Professional Services:
- Medicine and related medical services
- Engineering services
Personal Services Defined: Technical or unique functions performed by a supplier that is distinctly qualified to render the services. Art contracts may require competition based upon the nature of the installation. An annual contract for personal services in excess of $100K is extremely unusual and would require special scrutiny for compliance with applicable policies.
Examples of Personal Services:
How to hire a Professional or Personal Service Provider:
- Use the following Form in BearBuy: “Independent Contractor and Consultant Services”.
- The department should attach the following Required PO Documents to the Form as directed in BearBuy:
Required documents from the Department:
Required documents from the Supplier:
3. Other Considerations:
A. Professional Services: If a professional license is required for the nature of the work to be accomplished (e.g., doctor, lawyer, architect):
- Obtain a copy of the professional license
- Additional insurance requirements will apply: Errors & Omissions and/or Professional Liability and/or Malpractice (when teaching students or operating on patients)
B. Services Performed on UC Property: Determine the amount of services that will be performed by the Supplier on campus.
C. See Special Considerations for additional potential issues.
4. The Buyer will use the above documentation to create an Independent Contractor Agreement, which will be signed by the Buyer and the Independent Contractor.
For more information, see Finance Bulletin: BFS-BUS-43 Purchases of Goods and Services; Supply Chain Management.