Fleet Services

Fleet Services assists the campus in minimizing risks and liabilities to the University by monitoring compliance with federal, state and university regulations. 

For all vehicle acquisitions, The Energy Policy Act of 1992 (EPAct) requires that 75% of the University’s light duty vehicle acquisitions shall be alternative fuel vehicles (AFVs).

The University is required to adhere to the State Contracts for purchasing vehicles.  A vehicle purchase must either use the appropriate contract, or else Fleet Services must certify that an exception to the contract applies. Some exceptions may include:

  • No vehicle on the state contract is adequate to the task
  • The requested vehicle has a lower overall cost than the equivalent state contract vehicle
  • The department requires that a vehicle be put in operation immediately; and the requested vehicle is available immediately while delivery on the equivalent state contract vehicle will be delayed; and the cost to rent a vehicle to bridge the interim period, when added to the cost of the state contract vehicle, exceeds the cost of the requested vehicle
  • The requested vehicle, when compared to the equivalent state contract vehicle, allows a more cost-effective realization of our sustainable transportation goals

State contracts can be found by searching on Cal eProcure select Quicklinks > View/Search Contracts. 

  • In the Description field list out “Fleet Vehicles” then select the blue search bar.    You can choose any of the contracts listed within the category you are interested in (i.e. Cars; Trucks; Vans & SUV). 
  • The system requires that a contract page is created for each dealer on contract for each category, however, the same contract documents (i.e. User Instructions; Pricing Pages; Vehicle Questionnaires) are attached to each dealers contract page within the same category so you don’t have to jump from contract to contract to see what’s available.
  • Once a dealer’s contract page is displayed, you can view the documents at the bottom of the page.  Be sure to click “view all” to see all the documents.  Only the first five attachments are shown initially and they are not always in the correct order of how they should be displayed. 

Services available to campus are listed on the Fleet Services website

  • Driver Authorization
  • Driver Training
  • Fuel
  • Vehicle Acquisition
  • Vehicle Disposal
  • Vehicle Maintenance - When using a Fleet Vendor to work on a University vehicle, please instruct them to bill Fleet Services. The invoice will be paid and the charges will be posted to your monthly statement.
  • Vehicle Rental
  • Vehicle Stewardship

Vehicle Acquisitions

All vehicle acquisitions (purchases, gifts, and leases or rentals of more than 90 days) require the prior written approval of Fleet Services.  For more information, please refer to the vehicle acquisition process.

All University vehicles are registered as exempt vehicles, and carry no annual registration fees.  There is a one-time registration fee - see recharge rates.

Registration cards are continuously valid.

Examples of Vehicles

  • Cars
  • Vans
  • Trucks
  • Buses
  • Street legal golf carts

How to buy a Vehicle

  1. Use the following Form in BearBuy: “Non-Catalog Form.”
  2. All vehicles / assets ≥$5,000 need to use the BFS account 54210 to track the inventory in BETS.
  3. On occasion, Dealer might needs the Buyer’s delegation letter to ensure they are approved for the amount of the purchase.
  4. The department should attach the following Required PO Documents to the Form as directed in BearBuy:

Required documents from the Department:

  1. Proof of Price Reasonableness & Source Justification - Federally funded orders need to have a written source justification and price comparison quotes.
  2. The approved Fleet Review form to the requisition.
  3. If you are purchasing a vehicle (with prior approval of Fleet Services) and the supplier's quote or invoice includes registration fees, please take the following actions:
  • Remind the Supplier that they are NOT authorized to register the vehicle on behalf of the University.
  • Inform the Supplier that "Customer Demands Title", and instruct them to forward all title and transfer documents to Fleet Services, 3200 Regatta Blvd Suite E, Richmond, CA 94804.
  • Instruct the Supplier to issue a corrected quote or invoice.

Required documents from the Supplier:

  1. Insurance (if there are service agreements)
  2. Conflict of Interest
  3. Dealer Sales Contract
  4. Buyer to issue PO (dispatch to manual) before contract is signed and send a copy to Fleet Services.
  5. Buyer to sign the Dealers sales contract.  The signed contract should be attached to the PO in BearBuy.  Fleet Services does not need a copy of the contract.
  6. The Dealer’s DMV Coordinator should complete and send the Original title and transfer paperwork to Fleet Services:
  • Attention to Kenya Broadnax, 3200 Regatta Blvd. Ste. E, Richmond, CA 94804.
  • If the documents happen to arrive with the vehicle, please contact Fleet Services.

Receiving the Vehicle: The campus end user signs and accepts the vehicle when delivered.  Please note the only document that should be signed is the delivery receipt, which can also be added to the PO in BearBuy for reference.

How to pay Vehicle registration fees: For vehicle registration in California, Fleet Services will handle registration. You may use BearBuy to pay for vehicle registration fees for vehicles registered in jurisdictions other than California.

  1. Use the following Form in BearBuy: “Payment Request Form.”
  2. Attach a copy of the statement from the relevant motor vehicle agency identifying the vehicle and showing the fees due.

Car Rentals

 How to obtain Car Rental Services

  1. For frequent use, see the Rental Car Card Program under Fleet Services in the Property Management section (or)
  2. Visit the Connexxus portal to book a car rental with the discounted rates for Hertz, National, and Enterprise. A personal credit card or corporate card must be used to rent a car. The cost cannot be charged to the department. Once you pay for the rental and use the car, you will need to file a travel reimbursement request.

For additional information on booking and paying for car rentals, please see the Controller's Office Travel Services page.


Vehicle Charters

There are Contracts in BearBuy for charter service agreements.  Be sure to review the agreements for how to ensure that a vehicle will be available.

How to order Vehicle Charter Services

  1. Preferred ordering method Use the following Form in BearBuy for Contract Suppliers: “Vehicle Charter Request Form” provide link to Bear Buy
  2. If you cannot obtain the charter from the contracted suppliers in Bear Buy, for Non-Contract Suppliers use the “Non-Catalog Form”.
  3. The department should attach the following Required PO Documents to the Form as directed in BearBuy:

Required documents from the Department:

  1. Proof of Price Reasonableness & Source Justification
  2. Statement of Work – defining the following:
  • UC Berkeley department contact information
  • Name and contact information for the charter service
  • Trip purpose
  • Trip details
  • Number of passengers
  • Number of minors vs adults
  • Pickup time
  • Drop off time and location
  • Vehicle and pickup instructions
  • Vehicle type

Required documents from the Supplier:

  1. Insurance
  2. Conflict of Interest
  3. Supplier’s proposal
  4. Other Considerations:
    1. Note that charters represent a high risk to the University. Charter companies must be able to provide proof of licensing, satisfactory motor vehicle safety ratings and insurance.
    2. See Special Considerations for additional potential issues.
    3. If the service will be ongoing, contact your Campus Buyer to discuss the possibility of establishing a contract.
    4. The Buyer will use the above documentation to create an Independent Contractor Agreement, which will be signed by the Buyer and the Independent Contractor.

Refer to BFB-BUS-43 Purchases of Goods and Services; Supply Chain Management, BFB-BUS-63 for special insurance requirements and BFB-BUS-8 for acquisition and licensing of University vehicles.

Return to the How to Purchase Goods and Services list.