Low Value Purchases
The authority to purchase low risk goods and services up to $4,999.99 per transaction [low value purchase authorization (LVPO)] that has been granted by the Material Managers to individual in departments outside Purchasing. Link BFB-BUS 43(link is external). LVPO will bypass the review of a Buyer.
These order are processed by Campus Shared Services(link is external).
Low Risk Goods
Can be defined as consumer electronics, equipment, or consumable goods that are available to the general public and used by members of your department.
High Value Purchases - Orders ≥ $5000
Any request over $4,999.99 will route to SCM for a Buyer with delegated authority to process the Agreement and/or PO. UC Employees are able to create purchase requests (requisitions) for goods or services but orders that involving any of the following Special Considerations will need to be reviewed and approved by a Supply Chain Buyer with delegated authority.
- Specialized Goods
- Sponsored Funds
- Insurance & Indemnification
- Intellectual Property
- Brand Protection
- Services performed on campus or that displace UC employees
- Data Security & Protected Information: PHI, PII, FERPA, PCI
- Cloud / Website / On-line Services - Software as a Service (SaaS)
- Conflict of Interest
- Independent Contractors or Consultants & Professional or Personal Services
Requests that exceed $99,999.99 per year will need to be competitively bid. See RFx - Competitive Bidding.
Most Berkeley agreements are handled by one of the following four offices:
- Business Contracts Brand Protection (BCBP)
- Sponsored Projects Office (SPO)
- Industry Alliances Office (IAO)
- Supply Chain Management (SCM)
For more information on Berkeley’s contracting process including a decision tree for use in determining the appropriate office (in most cases) to process your agreement, visit the BCBP website.
When you have determined that SCM is the department you should work with, the Purchasing Goods and Services section provides guidance with the procurement process.